you got me milkshook, Guest
0 posts / §

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

she's the last true mouthpiece, johanne & poppy
played by oph - she/her - cest - mature threads?: yes - contact: the_ophelia (line) -
poppy
the noxious
parramatta
surgeon
aromantic pansexual
54 posts // §275
direct link // Mar 2 2018, 06:54 AM
she's the giggle
at the funeral.
“That’s stupid.” She commented right off the bat, not really bothered if she somehow managed to offer the other woman or make her upset. She was a grown-up; more so, she wasn’t a baby like other people Poppy had been with, so she should be able to understand the reasoning behind the statement without Poppy having to explain it more. After all, it was kind of dumb – the most remarkable trait of the human species was adaptation, getting out of the situations which they weren’t supposed to be in at all, which they weren’t supposed to get out, and by raising a child this way, they took that ability away. Poppy didn’t know much about raising children, but she knew they had to be protected early on and yet prepared for the harsh reality of the outside world.

Nothing she cared about anyway.

“So you have something there?” She asked, genuinely curious about the woman’s reasoning. She always liked hearing other people and their opinions even when they were illogical and when she didn’t agree with them at all, mostly just she could compare them to each other, see what was the most frequent way to thinking. An experiment, of sorts – people were influenced by their experiences, so people with similar experiences should have similar opinions, no? Poppy was still counting up all of the parameters. She, for example, had things in other states, had real people waiting there, and she never went back, she just kept moving forward. It was Sweden two days ago, Thailand yesterday, Sydney today—who knew what came tomorrow? Live wasn’t worth counting in anything bigger than days, as fragile as it was.

“Washington.” She disclosed. “Seattle actually. I’ve lived most of my life in Brisbane, when you spend time counting, I guess. Brisbane and Thailand.”

johanne doiron; 301 words
BY MITZI
played by ellis - they/them - est - mature threads?: depends - contact: line: transpadme -
johanne
the aesthete
penrith
freelancer/poet
lesbian
44 posts // §130
direct link // Mar 2 2018, 09:08 AM
Un moment donné, j'boycotterai le vieux café de dépanneur
"There's a bunch of complicated politics surrounding French in Canada, we don't want to be just eaten up by the Anglophone parts and lose a part of who we are, especially given the history of the English taking over what we're French colonies, and then the way Francophones were treated for so long in general, while the country is officially bilingual the only bilingual provence is New Brunswick and Quebec is the only other provence with French as an official language. This means that in every other provence while you can get federal level services in French you may not be able to get provincial level services in French, it insentivises assimilation, you may not even be able to learn in your native language and depending how bilingual you are you may not be able to get a proper education. In New Brunswick we had to fight to be officially bilingual on a provincial level in the late '60s, my dad was twelve at the time and remembers it well. I don't really agree, the way I speak French has no real impact on my 'proper' French, and it's part of who I am, an Acadienne from the Moncton area, just like his French is a part of who he is. It's an understandable defensiveness even if I disagree, the stupid ones are the Académie Français. This could be an entire degree though, it really is quite complicated."

And that was the simplified unprepared version without mentioning a lot of the worse things the English did. She didn't want to go getting to serious.

"Not really, at least not anymore, but it is still home. Just now a very far away home that I'd have to pick my life up and resettle for. I'd like to at least visit again someday, maybe find where we used to live over in Nova Scotia too, no idea how much is still around but." She shrugged, it had been centuries since it was liveable, "Oh wow, I've never been able to go to Asia, I almost tried to get into Russia a few times but it was so much of a hassle that I never bothered"

poppy coleman | 363 words | LAW.
played by oph - she/her - cest - mature threads?: yes - contact: the_ophelia (line) -
poppy
the noxious
parramatta
surgeon
aromantic pansexual
54 posts // §275
direct link // Mar 6 2018, 01:28 PM
she's the giggle
at the funeral.
Poppy listened with her usual attentiveness, alert and paying attention to the woman and uncaring of things going on around her. She didn’t care about what people were doing here. If she were honest, she didn’t really care about the woman, not at all, but listening to her helped her drown their surroundings out. And, well, if she was seen talking to someone, then she wasn’t just a tall, scary and lonely woman standing in the corner. She was a tall, scary woman in a company of someone far less intimidating, someone that was considered “normal” by all accounts and standards. It always made her seem a little less scary.

“I see. And I thought children squabbling about American and Australian slag was bad. My thirteen year old classmate from boarding school was pretty mean about it.” As if though it made much difference. He was mean, but Poppy was meaner. She could barely remember what his face looked like under normal cirumstances – Poppy had been even younger then – but she could clearly remember how badly it had been broken after they squabbled around the right way to say one word or another. Later on, he had grown tall and large, but Poppy was taller and larger and he must’ve remembered the pain and the crack of cartilage to avoid her the way he did. “I understand where you’re coming from, though. Your identity must be important to you.”

It was never something that was important to Poppy. She changed so many times that she didn’t have one right now, not other than being dull and boring most of the times. She was only ever fun when she was cutting things up. “A visit sounds doable. When gain and loss are factored in, I don’t see why you would go back.” She admitted with the shrug. “Thailand was fun. I’d like to go back.” She left Thailand willingly, half for work, and she was still established there, with the ability to work undeterred and no one was searching for her. “I found most of my current friends there.” It was strange, calling them friends. They were just same sort humans with humanity barely clinging off their bones, but whether she wanted to admit it or not, they were Poppy’s family.

johanne doiron; 380 words
BY MITZI
played by ellis - they/them - est - mature threads?: depends - contact: line: transpadme -
johanne
the aesthete
penrith
freelancer/poet
lesbian
44 posts // §130
direct link // Mar 8 2018, 06:20 PM
"Language can be weird and shockingly divisive, yeah." She had always found language and the ways that people got very upseet when it wasn't used how they wanted it to be. There were good reasons of course, but when people were strict about using 'proper' English or French or whatever it always felt weird and with English she felt even less inclined to defend any one individual since there weren't the same politics there, "Really in the end all that matters is that you're understood, language changes and evolves all the time and really the point of it is simply to communicate. I really wish it weren't so politicized. Identity can be so important, especially when someone's tried to take it away from you or just straight up get rid of you because of it. It's all so complicated, life is complicated."

She wouldn't say that she liked a lot of the complications of life but she did tend to find them interesting, she enjoyed complicated conversations, conversations where there was no definitive answer, she supposed she could have become a philosopher or something if she hadn't fallen in love with the type of writing that she had, the way she tended to write was really not at all suited to academic writing, she couldn't get a specific message across to save her life how she preferred to write. It made those jobs where she had to write very clearly and dryly so excruciating to do, it felt like she was back in high school writing heavily formatted papers, what she really loved most about writing poetry was the looseness it allowed her.

"I can't really afford it at all, I wish I could but it's not really all that feasible at the moment. I can really only travel by car and that's mostly because I can continue working no matter where I am."

poppy coleman | 363 words | LAW.
poppy
the noxious
parramatta
surgeon
aromantic pansexual
54 posts // §275
direct link // Mar 17 2018, 06:43 AM
she's the giggle
at the funeral.
Poppy nodded, unsure of what else to add. That conversation seemed to be conclude. Yes, people were assholes. Yes, people thought language was so important when there were many, many other means of communication. Some of Poppy’s acquaintances communicated in sign language, but that was just one of the more refined examples. Poppy personally thought that dislocating a shoulder could get a point across as well. “People are complicated. Sometimes.” Sometimes, but not all the time. On physical level, but they were really simple, something Poppy could testify with confidence, but otherwise? They just got increasingly complicated and she wished they weren’t. She liked knowing things about people, the way they worked; she didn’t like being left in the dark, wondering, just because someone had fickle nature. Nature could be changed, of course, but the process was gruesome and tiring and long and Poppy didn’t care about anyone enough to want to change them.

“Do you like Australia?” She asked in the end. This was how people held conversation, right? This was how they talked to other people, by asking them meaningless questions to get answers they would forget (Poppy would never forget) and see if those answers appealed to them. If they had enough similar answers, they would become friends. It sounded a little bit like a video game, with scores and all, but it was logical and it helped Poppy realise where she stood with other people a lot of times. “What do you do? Work, I mean?” Poppy could technically work anywhere. With clean enough conditions and a flat surface, she’d be able to a body up no matter where she was. She was doing in in Australia, she was doing it in Sweden, in Thailand and in Australia again. She just got a little rougher around the edges in the meanwhile and had more people around her, but honestly nothing much had managed to change. She couldn’t even tell what the other woman could be. She was always bad at guessing facts about other people.

johanne doiron; 339 words
BY MITZI
johanne
the aesthete
penrith
freelancer/poet
lesbian
44 posts // §130
direct link // Mar 29 2018, 02:56 AM
"Definitely, and there often ends up being some hard to grasp politics in some pretty unexpected places, well unexpected if you don't know all the history. Once you know how something came to be it often doesn't feel so weird anymore, and then of course sometimes things just happen." She shrugged, it wasn't like all random political stuff actually made sense, a great deal didn't, but you could pretty much always trace out a path in history that at least explained how it came to be even if it doesn't really make it make any actual sense that people are being so stubborn about something. Had she not found that passion for creative writing when she had she likely would have ended up studying historical sociology or something like that in school.

"Yeah, it's never really felt like home in the same way but I have enjoyed it here, it's nice, and I do enjoy not having to shovel snow." The comment was half a joke and half sincere, she never had to shovel herself while in Canada, other people did that, but she would have had she stayed in the area long enough to have her own place, and given the way that the weather seemed to be going up there lately it seemed likely that she would have to do an incredible amount of shoveling which she was quite happy not to have to do.

She paused for a moment when Poppy asked about what she did for a living, trying to figure out the exact way that she should answer the question

"I'm a freelance writer, though I also do some translation work, mostly I do stuff for websites and pamphlets and stuff, dry informational stuff. I'm trying to get published as a poet and write full time for that though, that's what I really want to do but I also need to make money until I can get published so, and you?"

poppy coleman | 329 words | LAW.
poppy
the noxious
parramatta
surgeon
aromantic pansexual
54 posts // §275
direct link // Apr 8 2018, 04:16 PM
she's the giggle
at the funeral.
“So it’s not anything of relevance to the current times? Or us.” She shrugged the whole conversation off, as she often did because she divided knowledge and things she talked about in two categories – the ones that were relevant for her and the ones that weren’t. Those that weren’t were easily weeded out, as there was no need for Poppy to harness any knowledge that couldn’t turn out to be useful for her branch of work. History of Canada was most certainly not one of those, so she distanced from it although, after all, if the woman wanted to continue talking about it, she would.

“Not shoveling snow seems nice. It snows here too, but I suppose not as much as there. Is it like on the Internet?” She was well-versed in Internet browsing, mostly thanks to Google because she didn’t trust any sites or forums but she tried, did the best she could without tacking on ‘old person alert’ on herself. She was friends with babies; she felt it was completely in place from her to ask them to download things for her (now she knew that too, so that was a plus) and to find things when she needed them, but she liked knowing better. That way she could search for things on her own, but Poppy didn’t trust real people – how could she be expected to trust the Internet, then?

She nodded. A freelance writer meant basically anything. It was freeing in a way that she could have a lot of sidejobs. It was vague in the same way her own job was vague. “I work in a gallery. As a physical help of sorts, but sometimes I curate.” People’s organs. Sometimes she talks facts about organs, but that wasn’t something she was going to say. “I am very new to art, to be honest. I only know the very basic things so far.”

johanne doiron; 317 words
BY MITZI
johanne
the aesthete
penrith
freelancer/poet
lesbian
44 posts // §130
direct link // May 12 2018, 04:49 PM
"It's still pretty important to the older generations who lived through French becoming an official language in New Brunswick but yeah it's not really all that important to know living in Australia." She shrugged, she had never really entirely known what it was like to experience language based persecution and mostly had her grandfather and father's stories to go on to know what it must have been like so while he thought the way French was often treated by the French native speakers of Canada a bit silly she wasn't really going to judge them for having that reaction, she didn't doubt she probably wouldn't have her laissez-faire attitude to language had she faced any real discrimination as a native French speaker in a majority Anglophone country.

"It gets really cold, yeah, and I didn't even really live that far north in the country, on average we get a little under three meters of snow every year and only about 10% of the population lives more than 100 miles north of the border with America, I grew up south of the northernmost point on the border which is still further north than most of the United States." She was really glad she wasn't there for the cold snap last December, she wasn't about to deal with below Arctic temperatures. She may not be all that fond of the sweltering head that Australia could get at least it wasn't colder than the Arctic circle there.

She nodded as Poppy explained what she did, it definitely made sense but she wasn't going to say that, best not to risk upsetting her new very large friend. Or whatever it was that Poppy wanted to be.

poppy coleman | 285 words | LAW.
poppy
the noxious
parramatta
surgeon
aromantic pansexual
54 posts // §275
direct link // May 30 2018, 08:12 AM
“I guess it all comes down to you… deciding whether you want to stay here or leave.” It always came down to that to Poppy; whether she wanted to remain in one place or leave. She did what she had to, adapted in all the ways she knew to adapt and if she didn’t know any, then she learned them. She had to learn Swedish so she did, she had to learn Thai, so she did, she needed to be a pre-school teacher so she learned how to communicate with children even though they wanted to touch her face to feel her scars and even though hugging them was awkward because she was never gentle with small creatures before that. Now she had to learn to adapt in the gallery, so she did. She took great pride in being able to fit anywhere, much like a chameleon.

“That’s not too bad then. It would be interesting to visit, but what business could someone have up there?” Though she supposed it was only a matter of her not knowing anyone there. “Apart from family, I suppose.” Hers was in the America, but she didn’t even really think about them. She was curious, but not that curious. It was a life she left behind. If they never even recognized her, then that would easily be the biggest compliment she had ever received for her work. She wasn’t sure how someone like her came to be from the drug lord and his girl – it was her father’s fond way of saying he took their mother away from prostitution, but that sort of thing never bothered Poppy in the slightest – but there she as, not interested in either drugs nor sex. Just organs. “You don’t seem like someone acquainted with the cold.”

johanne doiron
298 words
johanne
the aesthete
penrith
freelancer/poet
lesbian
44 posts // §130
direct link // Jul 19 2018, 05:53 PM

die in your arms poppy coleman | ### words

"Not like I can really afford it, unfortunately, maybe someday I'll eventually be making enough but really probably not." At this point in her life, having been a writer since her early twenties with so much rejection she didn't really feel like was all that likely that it would ever become something actually profitable so she had just gotten used to the fact that to be able to something that she enjoys for a living she'd just have to be fine with living paycheck to paycheck for the rest of her life, and really so long as nothing went wrong and she actually needed money for an emergency she was mostly okay with living the way that she was.

"Yeah, it's not really one of those places that people go to visit beyond vacations where you want to see some pretty nature or fish a bunch I guess, pretty much everywhere in Canada has pretty nature though. I guess if you really like lobster it's a good vacation spot." She shrugged, her family had basically the only company with a headquarters in the area that she knew of and really most of their work involving anyone not in their employ involved them going to big cities rather than people coming to them. She always enjoyed it, when her dad had something going on during the summer during the summer it would just become a family vacation so she had been all over Canada and America during her childhood. She wished she could explore Australia more, it's the one continent she's lived on that she hasn't been all over, "Do I not? I'm probably not all that good with it anymore, having lived outside of Canada for so long now."

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
cute RPG-Directory shadowplay jcink tinder palette | jeju boarding school one chance  candyland couture critical beauty re-bye: panfandom personified kpop site hul! daebak sadeon! rp adverts rpings An 18+ non-canon Potterverse AU RP set in Australia we are bulletproof incredible! Only A Memory Away | AU Sailor Moon w/ combat mechanics the beginning sonder warring crowns K-Urban: Korean Music Forum universe 『 M E R C Y 』